California Water Service (Cal Water) – Safety Administrator
Posted: Nov 11, 2018
ID: 2534 Employment
Type: Regular Company: California Water Service
Location: San Jose Pay Range: $59,400 – $104,000
California Water Service (Cal Water) invites you to pursue a career with the largest investor-owned American water utility west of the Mississippi River and the third-largest publicly traded water utility in the country. Formed in 1926, the San Jose-based company was named one of the Bay Area’s Top Workplaces several years in a row. Cal Water employees pride themselves on sharing a commitment to being the leader in providing its customers and communities with traditional and innovative utility services.
Cal Water offers a generous total compensation package. We have competitive salaries and match a portion of employees’ contributions to their Company 401(k). In addition, we provide a Company-funded pension plan, great healthcare benefits that provide coverage to employees and dependents, and generous tuition reimbursement. In addition, employees receive 11 paid holidays and three floating holidays per year, and two weeks of sick leave and vacation.
We are committed to hiring the best candidates, developing current employees, and promoting from within. Continuous improvement and employee development opportunities allow employees to acquire knowledge and skills necessary to progress and reach your career goals.
The Safety Administrator is responsible for promoting all aspects of safe practices at Customer Support Services (CSS); provides training in accordance with Injury and Illness Prevention Program (IIPP) and Cal OSHA title 8 for CSS. In addition, collaborates with the Chief Safety & Emergency Preparedness Officer to develop and implement safety programs and procedures which mitigate Company exposure; investigates incidents and accidents for CSS, prepares reports, and presents findings; may recommend preventative measures; runs queries, analyzes results, and make recommendations to enhance the culture of safety. This position is located in San Jose, California.
- Responsible for training on essential safety topics for CSS employees
- Produces annual Master Planning Safety Training Calendar and tracks the Safety team’s progress
- Works with the safety team to develop and track annual Safety Initiatives
- Monitor See Something, Say Something program and track trends to make audit recommendations
- Lead and chair the Safety Committee at CSS
- Coordinates the annual evacuation drill at CSS
- Compose meeting agendas for both the Safety Department and Executive Safety Committee
- Collaborates with the Chief Safety & Emergency Preparedness Officer to develop and implement safety programs and procedures which mitigate Company exposure
- Investigates incidents, accidents & exposures, prepares reports, and presents findings; may recommend preventative measures for CSS
- Investigates hazardous or unsafe situations; researches and recommends safety products and processes that will mitigate employee exposure to chemical, physical, and biological work hazards
- Coordinates with contractor and assists with providing resources for Cal Water’s Critical Incident Response Management (CIRM) team
- Ensures all ergonomic needs are met within the office environment
- Participates in district Emergency Operations Center (EOC) exercises
- Assists Security, Engineering, and Operations with Vulnerability Assessments
- Maintains required safety certifications in order to facilitate employee training and adhere to regulatory requirements
- Prepares reports regarding reported hazards; audits and analyzes trends
- Identifies safety issues and recommends corrective action
- Assists in the creation, maintenance, and updating of emergency evacuation maps for all California facilities
- Implements various elements of the ergonomics program
- Participates in and supports the Company’s Improvement Program and projects
- Performs other similar duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Health and Safety, Health Sciences, Occupational Safety, or related field desired and/or equivalent relevant experience
- One year of increasingly responsible experience working as an administrator or coordinator in health, safety, or related field
- OSHA 30 Compliance Certification (preferred)
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications
- Valid California Driver License
Deadline to submit resume is Tuesday, November 20, 2018.
The Equal Opportunity Policy of the Company is based upon the philosophy that all people should be treated fairly and with dignity. California Water Service, Hawaii Water Service, New Mexico Water Service and Washington Water Service do not discriminate against any applicant or employee because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or any other protected class. The Company makes all employment decisions in a non-discriminatory manner. EOE, VET, DISABILITIES.